Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Just Musing and Recuperating

I've not done any posting here in over a week. We've been battling the flu at our house. Even though hubby and I both received flu shots, this one got in under the radar. I am just now emerging from my self-contained dungeon of misery, able to take a breath now and then without coughing and finally free of fever. This also put a major halt in my Christmas preparations and I am frantically trying to make up for the lost time.

Trying to get packages ready to go to SC is at the top of my agenda, now. Everyone else on the gift list will have to take a number and wait while I see to my children and the great-grands. Both my first-born and I are getting very frustrated with the fact that very few mail-order gift companies will ship anything good to the DMZ in Korea. That's where my grandson is, this Christmas, and it would be so nice for him to get something fun for the holiday he is being forced to spend away from his wife and son. Our bad, for thinking that all we had to do was log on, click and send. Humbug!!

Yesterday was also my kid sister's 57th birthday which she spent being thrown from the back of a horse she is considering buying. She has a sore shoulder and a knot on her head and can't find her glasses. What makes this interesting is that, a little over a year ago, Debby couldn't even get on a horse at 420 pounds. One "hairy" bout of bariatric surgery and about 15 months later, she is down 196 pounds and back on top of a horse...her favorite place to be. She even rode in a local Christmas parade. Way to go, Deb, but PLEASE get yourself a more docile horse!

Blessings abound, though, in that she seems to be OK after her fall, my reunited oldest child was quick to call her "Mom" and see how "Aunt Debby" was doing and...ta daaaa....hubby's second follow-up ultrasound has confirmed that he does NOT have testicular cancer. Compared to all of that, flu blues and delayed schedules are small stuff. The lights on the tree look so pretty, today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robin,why isn't there an APO box in New York for him?That was where my hubbie's mail went and then on to Korea.But his address was always New York.

Robin said...

Hi Laras,

There is an APO box for him. That's not the problem. The problem is that the mail-order companies we wanted to use to send him some snacks and treats won't ship most of their products to overseas service personnel because of trade and FDA restrictions. They'll send cookies and candy, but no meats, cheeses or cheesecakes and one of the things we wanted to send was his favorite..a Turtle Cheesecake. So, even though he has an APO box and it is considered US territory, they still don't want to chance shipping those items.

We are sending candy, cookies and a bunch of his favorite magazines.

Thanks,
Robin